The Hangin’ Tree Cowdog
“The Ultimate Cowboys Dog”
The vision of Gary Ericsson
Gary Ericsson and his son Choc developed the Hangin Tree Cowdog.
The Hangin Tree Cowdog breed was named after the Hangin Tree Ranch.
The Hangin Tree Cowdog is :
- A cattledog that is a gathering, retrieving, herding type dog.
- A tough aggressive dog that has the courage to stand up to and handle all types of cattle.
- An intelligent dog that is easy to train.
- A dog with good disposition that is not overly sensitive.
- A short or slick haired dog that can stand the heat when needed and also shed burs and mud with minimal coat maintenance.
- A dog with good bone structure that can take the abuse that a cattledog takes from being kicked and ran over.
- A dog that is deep and wide in the chest with endurance that will stay with you when the going gets tough.
- A dog that can wind and trail cattle.
- The Hangin Tree Cowdog is a purebred working dog bred specifically to work cattle.
Gary chose four breeds originally to develop this breed.
- 3/8 Border Collie for their intense herding instinct and intelligence.
- 1/8 Catahoula for the ability to trail and find cattle, also for their toughness and slick hair coat.
- 1/4 Kelpie for endurance and also herding instinct and short hair.
- 1/4 Australian Shepherd, only a dog named Hangin Tree Black Bear went into this breed. Bear was a super dog with courage and ability to handle any kind of cattle.
Hangin Tree Cowdog Association Inc.
The Hangin Tree Cowdog Association Inc. was formed to protect, preserve, and promote this very special breed of dog.
The objectives of The Hangin Tree Cowdog Association Inc. are:
- To promote and protect the Hangin Tree Cowdog
- Maintain a pedigree registry for qualified Hangin Tree Cowdogs
- To further the advancement of the Hangin Tree Cowdog
- Disseminate knowledge and conduct clinics for the training of dogs and their handlers
- To do all in its power to advance the interests of the working cowdog
Owners and breeders of Hangin Tree Cowdogs are encouraged to join and register their dogs with the association. Only qualified Hangin Tree Cowdogs can be registered with the Hangin Tree Cowdog Association Inc.
Please note that membership dues are due Nov.1.
ALL MEMBERS: Please read the following before making a Hangin Tree Cowdog purchase!
Purchasing a Hangin Tree Cowdog
Please visit the News Page for information on upcoming meetings and clinics.
Most recent updates to News Page include:
Board of Directors Meeting, October 18, 2014
Annual Meeting, October 18, 2014